[GAP Forum] GAP installation on Ubuntu?

Bill Allombert Bill.Allombert at math.u-bordeaux1.fr
Mon Nov 15 23:43:31 GMT 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 05:56:04PM -0500, R. Keith Dennis wrote:
> Hi.  It seems that the GAP installation built-in to Ubuntu isn't complete
> - not all packages are there (and the directory structure might be a little
> different).

This is true. Packaging everything is a lot of work and some packages have
problematic licenses or depends on other packages with problematic licenses.

> Is there a standard way to add other packages to an Ubuntu installation?

Two actually: you can install them in /usr/local/share/gap, /usr/local/lib/gap
or in $HOME/gap.

> Or is it best to install a complete version in a separate location?

I suppose it depends on your need.

> I'd appreciate some advice from someone familiar with running GAP under
> Ubuntu.

I am the maintainer of the Debian packages in question. Ubuntu just import them from Debian.
I will try to packages more of them next year. Is there some kind of popularity list for
GAP packages ?

Cheers,
Bill.