[GAP Forum] "Crc mismatch"

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Mon Oct 4 23:04:07 BST 2010

On Oct 4, 2010, at 01:05 , Stephen Linton wrote:

> Dear GAP Forum,
>
> This shouldn't happen, and suggests that your download might have been corrupted in some way. For instance, is it possible that you ran out of disk space
> while downloading or unpacking the distribution? This can result in files being truncated.

Meant to comment on this but it got kind of late last night.

First thing: if disk space ran out, there would be repercussions.  I don't think 'tar' would be pleased, and also, I would get complaints in my syslog.  Neither happened, so I think we can rule that out.

I ran 'md5' on the tarball:
  MD5 (gap4r4p12.tar.bz2) = 2808c00e85e98843bb0e1a62c33ad5f0
I didn't see a checksum mentioned on the website but maybe I missed it.  This should be a quick check to verify whether tarball corruption is an issue.  If it were, I would again expect 'tar' to be unhappy, but "stuff happens".

Is there anything I missed here?

Thanks!

Justin

--