[GAP Forum] Different TwoSquares algorithm for large input?

Richard Graham rickhg12hs at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 20:16:48 BST 2010

Thanks for your response.

I suppose relying on integer factorization is the limiting factor (pun
intended).  Sage does not appear to include Gap's factint, but still,
factorization of large numbers can be difficult.

Sage's four_squares function also relies on Gap's TwoSquares function, so it
too is limited.

I noticed that the four square problem is solved without factorization at:

http://www.alpertron.com.ar/FSQUARES.HTM

... and it can take very large inputs (I tried numbers greater than 2^1000).

I am wondering if the TwoSquares problem can be solved without integer
factorization.

Cheers!
Richard