[GAP Forum] Question

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Mon Jul 19 10:12:05 BST 2010

Hi,

Am 19.07.2010 um 10:27 schrieb Lisette Brillemans:

[...]

> So I would like to ask the forum again: Is it possible to do something
> like (and how??):
>
> gap> G:=Group([1..10]);

Alexander Hulpke already explained that you can do:
  CyclicGroup(IsPermGroup,10);

But maybe you do not just want cyclic groups. In that case, you might want to tell us a bit more about what it is that you want to achieve, with less artificial examples.

> gap? G:=SymmetricGroup([1..10]);

This command works as you typed it, and will return a symmetric group on the points 1 to 10. You can also specify other (integer) sets to get a symmetric group acting on those:

  G:=SymmetricGroup([5,7,12]);

> etc.
> (and especially with 100 instead of 10 and so.)

G1 := CyclicGroup(IsPermGroup,100);
G2 := SymmetricGroup(100);

Again, that's only for the specific case you asked. Dan, Alexander and Max N. already gave some easily working examples as to how to tackle the general case.

Bye,
Max