[GAP Forum] Profiling Specific Functions

Sandeep Murthy srmurthy at brookes.ac.uk
Tue May 4 16:49:35 BST 2010

Hello.

I am somewhat confused by the range of profiling functions
available on GAP.  I just want to see the profile of a specific
single function I've written.  Is the command

DisplayProfile( funcs )

the right one for this?  Is funcs an array, or just the specific
single function of interest?

Anyway, I used ProfileOperations( true ), and then DisplayProfile()
after one run of my function, and that gives me the following results:

count  self/ms  chld/ms  function
  15029       16        8  IS_SSORT_LIST
  10656       23        4  InfoLevel
  14819       33        4  SSortedList
  21586       37        0  APPEND_LIST
  10446       36        7  AsSSortedList
  13531       40        3  IntersectSet
  23006       36        8  ADD_LIST
  14679       47        0  SHALLOW_COPY_OBJ
 102626      157        0  LENGTH
  29072      147       35  Size
             619           TOTAL

What do LENGTH, InfoLevel, and the other keywords like self/ms and chld/ms
refer to?

Sincerely, Sandeep.