[GAP Forum] Quotients of abelian groups

Asst. Prof. Dmitrii (Dima) Pasechnik dima at ntu.edu.sg
Mon Mar 8 00:46:47 GMT 2010

Dear Forum,

as I already replied to the author, the following would work,
although I do not know how efficient this is.

gap> a0:=AbelianPcpGroup(3,[0,0,0]);
Pcp-group with orders [ 0, 0, 0 ]
gap> a:=Subgroup(a0,[a0.1*a0.2^-1,a0.3]);
Pcp-group with orders [ 0, 0 ]
gap> b:=Subgroup(a0,[a.1*a.2^-1,a.1^-1*a.2^-1]);
Pcp-group with orders [ 0, 0 ]
gap> a/b;
Pcp-group with orders [ 2 ]
gap>

(here we use multiplicative notation for Abelian groups, which feels odd to me)

Best,
Dmitrii