[GAP Forum] p-group

Vivek Jain jaijinenedra at yahoo.co.in
Wed Feb 10 09:13:09 GMT 2010

Dear Prof. Bettina Eick,

While doing following  Method as mentioned in your email "A" is not a group.
The command IsGroup(A), AsGroup(A) fails. I want to determine weather "A" is abelian group or not. Can we get more information about the structure of A?

==============Method===============
G := function(p)
     local F, f, r, a, b, c;
     F := FreeGroup(3);
     f := GeneratorsOfGroup(F); a := f[1]; b := f[2]; c := f[3];
     r := [a^(p^5), b^(p^3), c^(p^2),
           Comm(a,b)/a^(p^3),
           Comm(a,c)/c^p,
           Comm(b,c)/b^(p^2) ];
     return
 F/r;
end;
LoadPackage("nq");
LoadPackage("autpgrp");

(example for p=3):

gap> H := G(3);
<fp group on the generators [ f1, f2, f3 ]>
gap> K := NilpotentQuotient(H);
Pcp-group with orders [ 27, 9, 3, 9, 3, 3 ]
gap> Length(LowerCentralSeries(K));
3
gap> A := AutomorphismGroupPGroup(K);;
gap> A.size;