[GAP Forum] easy way to generate permutation groups?

John Dixon jdixon at math.carleton.ca
Thu Dec 3 15:30:29 GMT 2009

    I don't know whether this answers the more general question which
you recently posed on the GAP forum but it produces two permutations u,
v on an appropriate interval [1..m] which generate the group which you
describe.

gap> a := x -> [x[1],x[1]*x[2]];;
gap> b := x -> [x[2]*x[1],x[2]];;
gap> g := SymmetricGroup(4);;
gap> omega := Cartesian(g,g) ;;
gap> u := PermListList(omega, List(omega,a));;
gap> v := PermListList(omega, List(omega, b));;
gap> h := Group(u,v);;
gap> Size(h);
2239488

    It is rather intriguing how the final group h varies with the input g.

          - John Dixon