[GAP Forum] Two questions: newline suppression and iterators....

Gordon Royle gordon at maths.uwa.edu.au
Thu Aug 6 01:31:18 BST 2009

Dear Gapsters

I have two questions: one is minor

(Q1) When I am printing  output with GAP (using "Print") for future
processing with another program, GAP appears to insert "newline"
characters without being asked; this screws up my subsequent program
which wants to process one line at a time.  How can I tell GAP to only
print newlines when I ask it to!

The second would appear to be a very common need, but my search of the
archives has not revealed a solution...

(Q2)  I want to process every element in a large RightTransversal. It
is too big to store as a list, but small enough to be processed "one
element at a time" - is there a way of making an iterator for  a
RightTransversal WITHOUT constructing the actual transversal itself...
just some way of saying "give me the next element of the transversal"?

Cheers

Gordon

Professor Gordon Royle
School of Mathematics and Statistics