[GAP Forum] Problem with ComplementClasses

Kasper Andersen kksa at math.ku.dk
Tue Jul 21 13:31:15 BST 2009

Hi!

As a test for a more serious application I want to use GAP to find the
conjugacy classes of complements of the normal subgroup A_4/V_4 in
S_4/V_4. The following piece of code sets up the quotient S_4/V_4 and
the normal subgroup A_4/V_4:

S4:=SymmetricGroup(4);
A4:=DerivedSubgroup(S4);
V4:=DerivedSubgroup(A4);
pi:=NaturalHomomorphismByNormalSubgroup(S4,V4);
S4modV4:=Image(pi,S4);
A4modV4:=Image(pi,A4);

After this the result should be obtainable by

ComplementClasses(S4modV4,A4modV4)

but this gives the error

Error, no method found! For debugging hints type ?Recovery from
NoMethodFound
Error, no 1st choice method found for `PcpsOfEfaSeries' on 1 arguments
called \
from
PcpsOfEfaSeries( N ) called from
<function>( <arguments> ) called from read-eval-loop
Entering break read-eval-print loop ...
you can 'quit;' to quit to outer loop, or
you can 'return;' to continue

on my system. Why does this happen? Is there an easy way to solve it?

thanks in advance,

Kasper Andersen