[GAP Forum] How to find the value of character over generators

Thomas Breuer thomas.breuer at math.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Jul 8 09:20:02 BST 2009

Dear GAP Forum,

azhvan sanna wrote

> I have to use the character table of sporadic simple groups, and evaluate the
> value of characters on some specific generators, I appreciate if somebody tell
> me; is this possible? I have got the idea that as we do not know about the
> Conjugacy classes ordering and the nature of them used for making characters
> table, so characters table can be used when we do some calculation regardless
> of element involve in evaluating, so computing for example the value of one
> character in some element seems not possible.

1. If one has computed a character table from a group in GAP
   then the bijection between the columns of the table
   and the conjugacy classes of this group is explicitly stored.
   In this situation, a given character <chi> can be evaluated at a

        gap> G:= AlternatingGroup( 5 );;
        gap> g:= (1,2,3,4,5);;
        gap> tbl:= CharacterTable( G );;
        gap> Display( tbl );
        CT1

             2  2  2  .  .  .
             3  1  .  1  .  .
             5  1  .  .  1  1

               1a 2a 3a 5a 5b
            2P 1a 1a 3a 5b 5a
            3P 1a 2a 1a 5b 5a
            5P 1a 2a 3a 1a 1a

        X.1     1  1  1  1  1
        X.2     3 -1  .  A *A
        X.3     3 -1  . *A  A
        X.4     4  .  1 -1 -1
        X.5     5  1 -1  .  .

        A = -E(5)-E(5)^4
          = (1-ER(5))/2 = -b5
        gap> chi:= Irr( tbl )[2];
        Character( CharacterTable( Alt( [ 1 .. 5 ] ) ),
        [ 3, -1, 0, -E(5)-E(5)^4, -E(5)^2-E(5)^3 ] )
        gap> g^chi;
        -E(5)-E(5)^4

   Note that in this situation GAP has to find out in which conjugacy class
   of the group the given element lies.
   So if one wants to evaluate several characters of a given character table
   at the same group element, it is more efficient to compute once in which
   conjugacy class this element lies, and then to fetch the character value
   at the position of this class.

        gap> pos:= PositionProperty( ConjugacyClasses( tbl ), C -> g in C );
        4
        gap> chi[ pos ];
        -E(5)-E(5)^4

2. The situation is different if the bijection of table columns and
   conjugacy classes is not explicitly known.
   The question was about sporadic simple groups, the character tables
   of these groups are printed in the famous Atlas of Finite Groups,
   and these Atlas tables are available in GAP's Library of Character Tables.
   Let us assume we are interested in the Mathieu group M_{11}.
   Its Atlas character table can be fetched as follows.

       gap> tbl:= CharacterTable( "M11" );
       CharacterTable( "M11" )
       gap> Display( tbl );
       M11

             2  4  4  1  3  .  1  3  3   .   .
             3  2  1  2  .  .  1  .  .   .   .
             5  1  .  .  .  1  .  .  .   .   .
            11  1  .  .  .  .  .  .  .   1   1

               1a 2a 3a 4a 5a 6a 8a 8b 11a 11b
            2P 1a 1a 3a 2a 5a 3a 4a 4a 11b 11a
            3P 1a 2a 1a 4a 5a 2a 8a 8b 11a 11b
            5P 1a 2a 3a 4a 1a 6a 8b 8a 11a 11b
           11P 1a 2a 3a 4a 5a 6a 8a 8b  1a  1a

       X.1      1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1   1   1
       X.2     10  2  1  2  . -1  .  .  -1  -1
       X.3     10 -2  1  .  .  1  A -A  -1  -1
       X.4     10 -2  1  .  .  1 -A  A  -1  -1
       X.5     11  3  2 -1  1  . -1 -1   .   .
       X.6     16  . -2  .  1  .  .  .   B  /B
       X.7     16  . -2  .  1  .  .  .  /B   B
       X.8     44  4 -1  . -1  1  .  .   .   .
       X.9     45 -3  .  1  .  . -1 -1   1   1
       X.10    55 -1  1 -1  . -1  1  1   .   .

       A = E(8)+E(8)^3
         = ER(-2) = i2
       B = E(11)+E(11)^3+E(11)^4+E(11)^5+E(11)^9
         = (-1+ER(-11))/2 = b11

   If we are now given a representation of the group M_{11} and want to
   use the Atlas character table together with this concrete group
   then the bijection between the conjugacy classes of the group and the
   columns of the Atlas table is not known.
   For the first six columns of the table, the element orders determine
   the corresponding conjugacy class uniquely,
   but for an element of order 8 or 11, it is not clear to which column
   of the table its conjugacy class corresponds.

   In this example, there is in fact no problem because of symmetries
   of the character table, which allow one to choose any column of the
   appropriate element order as the one that corresponds to a given element.
   (But after that choice, the correspondence is of course fixed.)

   In general, it may happen that the correspondence between the classes
   of a given group and the columns of the character table of this group
   cannot be determined uniquely (up to symmetries of the table) without
   additional information.
   In the worst case, one may be forced to recompute (parts of) the character
   table from the group.
   However, often this is not necessary, and one does in fact not need the
   complete information about the correspondence between classes and columns.

3. The question was about sporadic simple groups,
   and for most of these groups, the Atlas of Group Representations
   (see http://brauer.maths.qmul.ac.uk/Atlas/)
   provides a program for computing standard conjugacy class representatives,
   if one starts with standard generators of the group in question.
   In GAP, one can access this information via the package AtlasRep,
   as follows.
   We choose the degree 11 permutation representation of the Mathieu group
   M_{11}.

       gap> LoadPackage( "atlasrep" );
       true
       gap> prg:= AtlasStraightLineProgram( "M11", "classes" );;
       gap> info:= OneAtlasGeneratingSetInfo( "M11" );;
       gap> gens:= AtlasGenerators( info );;
       gap> reps:= ResultOfStraightLineProgram( prg.program, gens.generators );
       [ (), (2,10)(4,11)(5,7)(8,9), (2,6,10)(4,8,7)(5,9,11),
         (1,4,3,8)(2,5,6,9), (2,5,3,7,10)(4,6,11,8,9),
         (1,3)(2,10,6)(4,11,8,5,7,9), (1,8,6,11,3,7,10,9)(4,5),
         (1,7,6,9,3,8,10,11)(4,5), (1,4,11,3,8,2,10,5,7,6,9),
         (1,8,6,5,7,2,10,9,3,4,11) ]

   The class representatives obtained this way correspond to the columns of
   the Atlas character table of the group M_{11}.

4. More information about character tables in GAP can be found in the
   GAP Reference Manual, see for example
      http://www.gap-system.org/Manuals/doc/htm/ref/CHAP069.htm
   or try `?Character Tables' in GAP.

All the best,