[GAP Forum] How to find the value of character over generators

azhvan sanna azhvan at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 4 19:45:17 BST 2009

Dear friends,

I have to use the character table of sporadic simple groups, and evaluate the value of characters on some specific generators, I appreciate if somebody tell me; is this possible? I have got the idea that as we do not know about the Conjugacy classes ordering and the nature of them used for making characters table, so characters table can be used when we do some calculation regardless of element involve in evaluating, so computing for example the value of one character in some element seems not possible.
thanks

Azhvan