[GAP Forum] Question about Random Elements

Joe Bohanon jbohanon2 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 18:57:59 BST 2009

I have a problem I'm working on that involves trying to find an element
conjugating two subgroups of large matrix groups.  As I will likely have
to run through lots of elements (even after some reductions to smaller
subgroups).  I want to take advantage of a cluster with multiple
processors, but the way I understand it, if I start gap off fresh and
run Random or PseudoRandom, I will get the same sequence of elements.

I'd like to be able to change the seed based on which instance of the
program I am running.  All of the nodes have a shared hard drive, so I
can get an incrementor easily.  I just don't know how to set the
randomizer to start with a different seed.

Thanks
Joe