[GAP Forum] congruences filter of semigroups

Andreas Distler andreas at mcs.st-and.ac.uk
Tue Apr 14 11:18:17 BST 2009

Dear João,

 João Cruz wrote:
> 1. i want gap composer of semigroups with 5 elements

You can download the latest version of  'smallsemi' at
http://www-history.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/~jamesm/smallsemi/

After loading the package call
gap> AllSmallSemigroups(5);
to get the semigroups with 5 elements up to equivalence.

Be aware though that this is a development version and not everything
will be documented or even functional.

Moreover, the package does currently not work under Windows. If this is
a problem for you I could as an alternative send you a file containing
the multiplication tables of the semigroups.
> 2. i want a gap congruences filter to identify the congruences in the semigroup

As far as I know there is no GAP function that computes the congruences
of a semigroup. For the semigroups of order 5 you might be successful
using a brute force approach.

Best wishes,

   Andreas