[GAP Forum] PSL(n,q) with matrix filter

Asst. Prof. Dmitrii (Dima) Pasechnik dima at ntu.edu.sg
Tue Mar 24 16:43:20 GMT 2009

Dear Andreas,

PSL is not a matrix group, it is an action of SL on the projective
space, i.e. on the 1-dimensional subspaces. It is the quotient of SL
over the centre, which consists of scalar matrices. Then indeed, when
q=2, it is isomorphic  to SL, so you can work with e.g.
SpecialLinearGroup( 2, 2 ) directly.
(You can certainly do this for bigger q too, but you have to keep in
mind that yoiu work with a preimage of the homomorphism)

HTH,
Dmitrii