[GAP Forum] New update of GAP released

Frank Lübeck frank.luebeck at math.rwth-aachen.de
Sun Dec 28 16:22:36 GMT 2008

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 05:09:35PM -0800, Justin C. Walker wrote:
> Dear Forum,
[...]
> I upgraded from p11 to p12, and then applied the recommended tests:
>   gap> ReadTest(Filename(DirectoriesLibrary("tst"), "bugfix.tst"));
>
> I got one "error":
>   + Record Element: <rec> must be a record (not a boolean)
>
> which comes from this line in "bugfix.tst":
>
> # 2008/04/03 (JS)
> gap> if LoadPackage( "atlasrep" ) <> fail then
> >      g:= Group( AtlasGenerators( "HS", 1, 4 ).generators );  <----
> >      ConjugacyClassesMaximalSubgroups( g );
> >    fi;
>
> The problem is that
>    AtlasGenerators( "HS", 1, 4 )
> fails (returns 'fail').

Dear Justin, dear Forum,

This is probably harmless. When the command 'AtlasGenerators( "HS", 1, 4 );'
is called for the first time, it tries to download the corresponding group
generators from a server in London. (When successful, the result is cached
in local files, and you don't need the online access if you use the same
command again.)

I guess that when you made the test as described, your computer was not
online, or the access to the server in London didn't work at that moment.

Best regards,

   Frank

--
///  Dr. Frank Lübeck, Lehrstuhl D für Mathematik, Templergraben 64,  ///
\\\                    52062 Aachen, Germany                          \\\