[GAP Forum] Simplified Fp Group

Robert Morse rm43 at evansville.edu
Wed Oct 29 03:06:09 GMT 2008

Dear Josh,

The commands you are looking for are

SimplifiedFpGroup

The first does the Tietze transformations and returns the simplified
Fp group and the second gives an isomorphism from the original group
to the simplified one.

Example:

gap> G := Image(IsomorphismFpGroup(DihedralGroup(8)));
<fp group of size 8 on the generators [ F1, F2, F3 ]>
gap> SimplifiedFpGroup(G);
<fp group on the generators [ F1, F2 ]>
gap> IsomorphismSimplifiedFpGroup(G);
[ F1, F2, F3 ] -> [ F1, F2, F2^-2 ]