[GAP Forum] GAP console frozen

b-eide at juno.com b-eide at juno.com
Fri Aug 29 15:31:26 BST 2008

My GAP console seems to be frozen.

I received the following error:
exceeded the permitted memory ('-o' command line option at
B!.heads := gens.heads;
called from
BasisVectors(B) called from...
Entering break read-eval-print loop...
you can 'quit' to quit to outer loop, or
you can 'return to continue
brk>

and I typed 'return' to see if perhaps with more time, I would get a result.
I was checking if an element was in an ideal.  For those who read my previous posting about "element in ideal (more specific)", I changed Integers to Rationals, and was trying "gap>R4 in I;"  This is the command that led to the error above.
After leaving the program running overnight, it seems to be frozen.  I can't Cntl C to quit, or Cntrl D to exit to the SAGE console, I can't do anything!!!! I closed the program, restarted the computer, and reopened the program with no change.  Can anyone help?
-Becky