[GAP Forum] Stabilizer of a vector for Coxeter Groups

Mathieu Dutour Mathieu.Dutour at ens.fr
Fri May 16 08:02:34 BST 2008

Hi,

there are many possible strategy that can be employed.
Right now I can think of two:
1> represent your Coxeter group as a permutation group acting
on the roots r1, ...., rN of your Coxeter group.
  Call CoxPermGrp this representation.
Then given a vector v, associate to it the vector of scalar
products
     ScalV=(r1.v, r2.v, ......, rN.v)
Afterwards, you can use
     Stabilizer(CoxPermGrp, ScalV, Permuted);
The problem is that the permuted action is too slow, because
it does not use backtracking like the OnSets action.
A way around this performance problem is to use

PermutedStabilizer:=function(TheGRP, eVect)
  local TheStab, Hset, eVal, ListIdx;
  TheStab:=ShallowCopy(TheGRP);
  Hset:=Set(eVect);
  for eVal in Hset
  do
    ListIdx:=Filtered([1..Length(eVect)], x->eVect[x]=eVal);
    TheStab:=Stabilizer(TheStab, ListIdx, OnSets);
  od;
  return TheStab;
end;

  And if you need equivalence as well, then use

PermutedEquivalence:=function(TheGRP, eVect1, eVect2)
  local TheStab, eVect1img, n, eSet1, eSet2, g, eVal, ListIdx1, ListIdx2, gT;
  eVect1img:=ShallowCopy(eVect1);
  n:=Length(eVect1);
  eSet1:=Set(eVect1);
  eSet2:=Set(eVect2);
  if eSet1<>eSet2 then
    return fail;
  fi;
  g:=();
  TheStab:=ShallowCopy(TheGRP);
  for eVal in eSet1
  do
    ListIdx1:=Filtered([1..n], x->eVect1img[x]=eVal);
    ListIdx2:=Filtered([1..n], x->eVect2[x]=eVal);
    gT:=RepresentativeAction(TheStab, ListIdx1, ListIdx2, OnSets);
    if gT=fail then
      return fail;
    fi;
    eVect1img:=Permuted(eVect1img, gT);
    g:=g*gT;
    if eVect1img=eVect2 then
      return g;
    fi;
    TheStab:=Stabilizer(TheStab, ListIdx2, OnSets);
  od;
end;

2> If you really need to treat very large Coxeter group, then the way to
go is by the abstract theory of Coxeter groups. For that you need to map
your element to the fundamental domain (a simplex if the Coxeter group is
irreducible). Then, on the fundamental domain, enumerate the facets to
which it is incident. Those facets give you the generators of the
stabilizer.