[GAP Forum] StructureDescription & memory

Steve Linton sal at cs.st-and.ac.uk
Tue Apr 8 15:38:22 BST 2008

A partial answer:

As you observe, these groups are all of rank 7. I think they can be understood
as D8 x C_2^5, Q8 x C_2^5, and 2^{1+4}_+ x C_2^3 and 2^{1+4}_- x C_2^3,
although I haven't checked this fully.

The first step in computing the structure description is to list the normal
subgroups of the group, and the essential problem is that these groups have
very many normal subgroups.

I don't know exactly what computing the structure description involves in
general, so I'm not sure if it the normal subgroup computation can be avoided
in general, but most interesting questions about the groups (upper and lower
central series, for instance) can be answered very quickly using standard GAP
functionality.

	Steve