[Fwd: Re: [GAP Forum] Help Configuring GAP Packages on iBook 900 MHz]

Dmitrii Pasechnik dima at ntu.edu.sg
Sun Feb 10 06:17:53 GMT 2008

Dear Justin,

On 2/10/08 6:35 AM, "Justin C. Walker" <justin at mac.com> wrote:
[...]
>> Now, I have a new problem. Make complains that it can't find a
>> certain file in the carat directory:
>>
>> (cd src; make GNU_MP_LIB=. GNU_MP_INC=.)
>> gcc -O3 -DLONGLONG -I../../carat/carat/include -L../../carat/carat/
>> lib -DVERSION='"2.0 January 2003"' nq.o consistency.o pc.o
>> relations.o word.o system.o time.o addgen.o tails.o eliminate.o
>> engel.o glimt.o instances.o presentation.o mem.o pcarith.o
>> collect.o combicol.o trmetab.o gap.o -L. -o nq -lgmp -static
>> /usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lcrt0.o
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> make[1]: *** [nq] Error 1
>> make: *** [compile] Error 2
>>
>> The file isn't in /usr/local/lib/gap4r4/pkg/carat/carat-2.0/lib.
>
> I've reproduced this on my system.  I really don't think this is a
> 'gmp' issue,
well, the problem evidently lies in the way carat builds gpm library. Hence
it IS a gmp issue :)

I don't see why we really should discuss buidling gmp in this forum,
especially as there are well-known ways to avoid messing around with this on
the particular platform we talk about, e.g. to use fink.
Otherwise you are of course right that the tool chain gets confused here.
But it's gmp's toolchain...

> and I would not (yet) start fooling around with fink or
> MacPorts.
without one of them, developing "generic" unix soft, such as gap, on a Mac
becomes a major pain, that's why it's not "fooling around", but rather a
very reasonable thing to do.

Cheers,
Dmitrii