[Fwd: Re: [GAP Forum] Help Configuring GAP Packages on iBook 900 MHz]

Jeffrey Rolland rollandj at uwm.edu
Sun Feb 10 03:33:44 GMT 2008

Justin C. Walker wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2008, at 17:31 , Jeffrey Rolland wrote:

<snip>

Justin,

>> Thanks, that took care of the the malloc.h problem.
>>
>> Now, I have a new problem. Make complains that it can't find a certain
>> file in the carat directory:
>>
>> (cd src; make GNU_MP_LIB=. GNU_MP_INC=.)
>> gcc -O3 -DLONGLONG -I../../carat/carat/include -L../../carat/carat/lib
>> -DVERSION='"2.0 January 2003"' nq.o consistency.o pc.o relations.o
>> word.o system.o time.o addgen.o tails.o eliminate.o engel.o glimt.o
>> instances.o presentation.o mem.o pcarith.o collect.o combicol.o
>> trmetab.o gap.o -L. -o nq -lgmp -static
>> /usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lcrt0.o
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> make[1]: *** [nq] Error 1
>> make: *** [compile] Error 2
>>
>> The file isn't in /usr/local/lib/gap4r4/pkg/carat/carat-2.0/lib.
>
> I've reproduced this on my system.  I really don't think this is a 'gmp'
> issue, and I would not (yet) start fooling around with fink or
> MacPorts.  The problem seems more basic: the fact that "-lcrt0.o" is the
> issue means (to me, at least) that the tool chain is really confused.
>
> In the future, please include this information, since it will help
> diagnose this kind of problem:
>  - hardware platform (processor, if known)
>  - OS
>  - OS version
>  - GAP version and (if it's about a package) package version
>
> I am running on a Mac Pro (Dual Quad Xeon, 3GHz), Mac OS X 10.4.11.
>
> I tried this with Gap 4.4.10, and nq 2.2.
>
> I find that my locally-built GMP is built as a 64-bit library, while nq
> is built 32-bit.  I think that is the problem (GMP seems to insist on
> 64-bit builds if it's possible).
>
> Let us know what the above information is, and whether you built GMP
> yourself (and if not, where it came from).
>
> Justin

<snip>

Justin (et. al),

Thanks for the response.

My info is

Hardware: Apple iBook G3 900 MHz
OS and Version: Mac OS X 10.4.11
GAP: 4.4.9
NQ Version: 2.2

GMP Version (Long Edition): OK, here's where it gets embarassing. I
*had* tried to compile GMP myself a while ago, but it failed some
checks, so I never install it (I forgot this until your post :( ). I
just redownloaded it and compiled it, and I installed it before I did a
"make check" :( - but when I did eventually do a "make check", it passed
all tests this time :) So, to make a long story short, I am using
version 4.2.2.

GMP Version (Short Edition): 4.2.2

I have not tried recomiling NQ since installing GMP.

Please let me know if there is any additional information you require.
Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Sincerely,
--
Jeffrey Rolland
<rollandj at uwm.edu>