[GAP Forum] Help Configuring GAP Packages on iBook 900 MHz

Jeffrey Rolland rollandj at uwm.edu
Sun Feb 3 02:18:59 GMT 2008

Justin C. Walker wrote:
> Dear Jeffrey, Forum:
>
> On Feb 2, 2008, at 16:29 , Jeffrey Rolland wrote:
>
>> I am trying to install GAP on an iBook 900 MHz running Mac OS 10.4.11
>> with 640 MB of RAM.
>>
>> I have a basic GAP install compiled. The problem is getting all the
>> packages configured (or otherwise installed).
>>
>> The packages are installed in the directory
>> /usr/local/lib/gap4r4/pkg/. Inside this directory, there is a shell
>> script InstPackages.sh; I am attaching a copy of InstPackages.sh.
>>
>> When I cd to /usr/local/lib/gap4r4/pkg/ and run ./InstPackages.sh, I
>> get the error message "tcsh: ./InstPackages.sh: Command not found." (I
>> am running tcsh as my default shell.)
>>
>> Can someone help me trouble-shoot the package installation process?
>
> [[Added in proof :-} I just noticed that script begins with the string
> "#!/usr/bin/sh".  This actually may be the problem (the shells on Mac OS
> X are usually in "/bin").  Try changing that to "#!/bin/sh".  If that
> doesn't fix it, read on.]

<snip>

> Justin

Justin,

Thanks so much for the reply!

It appears the /usr/bin/sh vs. /bin/sh thing was it. (Obviously, I do
zero shell scriping :)) It's running now (and it appears it will be
running for some time).

If I have any more problems, I'll email again, but that was it for now.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,
--
Jeffrey Rolland