[GAP Forum] specail linear group recognization

Peter Brooksbank pbrooksb at bucknell.edu
Mon Dec 10 20:38:28 GMT 2007

Hello Ayan,

There is a better way to do this, but it does not seem to be
implemented yet in GAP (at least it isn't on the somewhat dated
version that I just tried). The function will eventually be

IsNaturalSL ( matgrp )

At present this function seems to be computing the order of the
matrix group and comparing it to the order of SL. As with the method
you tried, this is very slow, even over modest dimensions and field
sizes. Does anyone know whether this function is likely to be
upgraded in coming releases?

Best Regards,

Peter