[GAP Forum] Two questions

Frank Lübeck frank.luebeck at math.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Nov 27 12:17:59 GMT 2007

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 09:59:26AM +0100, Gábor Nagy wrote:
> 1) Is there a way to access the character table of the general symmetric
> group? It seems to me that the tables are only stored up to n=18.

Dear Gábor,

For 1) try:

t := CharacterTable( "Symmetric", 24 );

More infos can be found with '?Generic Character Tables' in the GAP help.

With 'ClassParameters(t);' and 'CharacterParameters(t);' you can find
the partitions parameterising the classes and irreducible characters.
It is also possible to compute single entries or parts of such tables.

> 2) I would like to use linear programming in GAP. Before I start
> implementing the simplex method in GAP, I would like to ask if anybody
> has done it before? This could save me some time. :-)

It seems that several sophisticated implementations were already mentioned.
I would also suggest to check out these programs and maybe to write a short
interface to one of these instead of implementing something from scratch in
GAP. (Write to support at gap-system.org if you need help.)

Best regards,

  Frank

--
///  Dr. Frank Lübeck, Lehrstuhl D für Mathematik, Templergraben 64,  ///
\\\                    52062 Aachen, Germany                          \\\