[GAP Forum] direct sums and counting subgroups

laurawicklund at comcast.net laurawicklund at comcast.net
Sat Nov 24 22:09:22 GMT 2007

I recently installed GAP on my computer and am trying to figure out how to solve the following problem using GAP (I spent a few hours reading through the manual but haven't been successful).

Let p be prime.  Find the number of subgroups of order p^2 of the additive abelian group $G:=Z_{p^3}\oplus Z_{p^2}$

The group G is the direct sum of additive groups ZmodnZ(p^3) and ZmodnZ(p^2)

I would be content solving by problem for a specific p, say p=3.

Thank you for your time.

-Laura