[GAP Forum] Real field

Mathieu Dutour Mathieu.Dutour at ens.fr
Mon Aug 6 11:37:53 BST 2007

Dear all,

I would like to work with numbers of the form (1+Sqrt(5))/2
in order to work with 600-cell, 120-cell and such kind of
polytopes.

Currently such numbers are coded in GAP with cyclotomic
extensions, which means that we have no comparison and functions
like (1+Sqrt(5))/2 > 30  does not return what I would like.

Is there a way to code a real field like Q(Sqrt(5)) in GAP
so as to have reliable comparison operator?

--
Mathieu Dutour Sikiric		Researcher in Mathematics
Telephone:.(+385)1 4571 237	and Computer Science