AW: [GAP Forum] GAP and rings?

Ecker Juergen Juergen.Ecker at fh-hagenberg.at
Mon Jul 23 05:37:33 BST 2007

Dear Keith.

Your observation is correct. The functions for rings that I have implemented in my diploma thesis are not available in the sonata near-ring package. The main reason is that the representation of near rings is not the same as the one used for rings in GAP. Also, the questions asked in nearring theory differ from those in ring theory (the situation is much like with rings and fields). I am sorry to say that my old functions for rings have also never been updated for GAP4, since my focus has changed to near rings.

Best regards,
Juergen