[GAP Forum] coset enumeration

Kristin Farwell byron75 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 21 19:48:38 BST 2007

On Friday May 26, 2006 Beth wrote:

Dear GAP forum,

I want to enumerate some cosets.  The manual tells me
that I can set the
maximum number of cosets but that if I exceed this
number then I will
enter a break loop.  I want to do lots of coset
enumerations in a row
without having to stand over my computer.  Is there
any way I can make the
coset enumerator return 'fail' then continue with the
next command, instead
of waiting for me to give it permission?

Beth

I am trying to do exactly what this person was asking
about and I also found the max and silent options.  I
also know how to push these options onto the stack.
My program still does not break out of the loop when
it reaches the max.  Approximate code:

f:=FreeGroup(2);
PushOptions(rec(max:=2000));
PushOptions(rec(silent:=true));
for p in [1..5] do
  g:=f/[f.1^3,f.2^3,(f.1*f.2)^3,(f.1*f.2*f.1)^p];
  s:=Size(g);
  if s = fail then break;
  else Print("p=",p," size=",s);
  fi;