[GAP Forum] GAP and rings?

Nilo de Roock ndroock1 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 09:18:34 BST 2007

Hello Keith,

For rings there is a wide selection of available packages.

I can confirm that the following
- Macaulay2
- Cocoa
- Singular
all do the basic stuff really well.

Seek and you'll find a wealth of information.

Macaulay2 and Singular are integrated with GAP in the SAGE package,
which I particularly recommend.

Kind regards,
nilo de roock

2007/7/23, R. Keith Dennis <dennis at rkd.math.cornell.edu>:

> Dear Colleagues:
>
> I have another simple question to ask.
>
> However, I'd like to first thank everyone who has helped me thus far.
> In particular, I'm most grateful to Bettina Eick and Jack Schmidt for
> providing much more than one might hope for.  Thanks!
>
> Bettina Eick showed me how to use the ANUPQ package to generate larger
> p-groups.  In particular it was possible for me to construct the
> groups of order 3^7 of rank 2 & the groups of order 1024 of rank 2,
> which were some of the things I needed.  These computations went
> fairly quickly; the constructions of groups of the same orders of even
> larger ranks seems to go much more slowly though.
>
> The GAP forum has been extremely helpful to me!
>
> I have some computations I'd like to make in a quotient ring
> (i.e. R/I) for R the integral group ring of a finite group.  Sometimes
> R/I is finite, sometimes not.  I can of course determine the abelian
> group structure of R/I, but I'd like to find ring generators of the
> summands & determine their multiplication, particularly in the finite
> case.
>
> However, I did not see any methods in GAP for working with R/I.  Did I
> miss something?  Is there a ring package available for GAP?
>
> With a google search I found a Diplomarbeit (pdf) at Linz:  "Everything
> you always wanted to know about rings in GAP. (but were afraid to
> ask)", J"urgen Ecker (October 7, 1999).  It has the source code (in the
> pdf file) of the new functions added.  At first I thought that the
> code might be included in SONATA, but that did not seem to be the
> case.
>
> Ok, so that's everything I was able to determine & the question is:
> Is there a ring package already available (or at least some
> collection of programs) or do I need to develop my own?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Keith

met vriendelijke groet,
nilo