[GAP Forum] cannot extend workspace anymore ...

Ad Huikeshoven ad.huikeshoven at gmail.com
Wed May 23 22:29:18 BST 2007

I installed GAP 4 on an new PC (Windows/Vista) with 2 GigaByte of RAM. I
tried to start gap with the option -a 1000M and -o 1500M, but that would not
start GAP: it complains at startup 'cannot extend workspace anymore'. In
fact it stops with the same message when trying to start GAP with -a 400M.
What I actually want to do is to compute a StructureDescription() which runs
fines, consumes nearly 400M of memory for a while and then stops with
'cannot extend workspace anymore'. Clearly I installed enough RAM om my
machine.

I tried to reduce workspace requirement for the permutation group I am
working on a bit with StraightLineProgGens, but that one returns another
problem, saying that position on element is not a positive integer, which I
do not understand.

Maybe someone has a suggestion ...

Ad Huikeshoven