Fw: [GAP Forum] Listing Octads

Paul_Hjelmstad at allianzlife.com Paul_Hjelmstad at allianzlife.com
Tue Mar 27 17:43:58 BST 2007

Alexander,

Thanks. This works, except that I get a different value for the first
octad (orbit of 2-Sylow group), it lists a 16-chord first, and then,
Set(octad)[1] ends
up being a 16-chord, and so do all the others. Do you know why it is
listing a 16-chord first, and why my octad is different? I get

 [ 3, 14, 22, 15, 11, 23, 17, 19 ]

Paul Hjelmstad
ITS Security Administration
763-582-6547 (x46547)
Paul_Hjelmstad at allianzlife.com
----- Forwarded by Paul Hjelmstad/allianzlife on 03/27/2007 11:40 AM -----

"PAUL HJELMSTAD" <phjelmstad at msn.com>
03/01/2007 03:08 PM

paul_hjelmstad at allianzlife.com
cc

Subject
FW: Re: [GAP Forum] Listing Octads

>From: Alexander Hulpke <hulpke at math.colostate.edu>
>To: "PAUL HJELMSTAD" <phjelmstad at msn.com>
>CC: forum at gap-system.org
>Subject: Re: [GAP Forum] Listing Octads
>Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 11:00:39 -0700
>
>Dear GAP forum,
>
>Paul Hjelmstad wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know how I would list:
>Yes.
>
>>2) Representatives of Conjugacy Classes (26) in M24
>gap> g:=MathieuGroup(24);
>gap> List(ConjugacyClasses(g),Representative);
>(Careful: Order is not necessarily ATLAS order but its easy to get a
>correspondence)
>
>>1) Octads in M24 (Are they Unique?)
>The 759 octads are one orbit under M24 and are determined uniquely by  5
>points of this 5-transitive group, thus there are unique.
>
>As the index of an octad stabilizer is 759 and thus odd, we can get  one
>octad from orbits of a 2-Sylow subgroup:
>
>gap> s:=SylowSubgroup(g,2);
><permutation group of size 1024 with 10 generators>
>gap> Orbits(s,[1..24]);
>[ [ 1, 5, 24, 8, 10, 11, 14, 20 ],
>   [ 2, 13, 22, 19, 7, 3, 9, 23, 18, 4, 15, 12, 6, 16, 17, 21 ] ]
>gap> o:=Set(last[1]);
>
>The set of octads then is obtained as orbit:
>
>gap> octads:=Orbit(g,o,OnSets);;
>gap> Length(octads);
>759
>
>from which we see that in this labelling of M24 the lexicographically
>smallest octad is
>
>gap> Set(octads)[1];
>[ 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 11, 13 ]
>

>Best,
>
>    Alexander Hulpke
>

>-- Colorado State University, Department of Mathematics,
>Weber Building, 1874 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins, CO 80523-1874, USA
>email: hulpke at math.colostate.edu, Phone: ++1-970-4914288
>http://www.math.colostate.edu/~hulpke

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  The information in this message, and any
files transmitted with it, is confidential, may be legally
privileged, and intended only for the use of the individual(s)
named above.  Be aware that the use of any confidential or personal
information may be restricted by state and federal privacy laws.
If you are not the intended recipient, do not further disseminate
this message.  If this message was received in error, please notify
the sender and delete it.