[GAP Forum] question

Ellis, Grahamj graham.ellis at nuigalway.ie
Mon Mar 12 10:49:35 GMT 2007

Dear Rashid,

I was just uploading a new version of HAP 1.7.3 when your e-mail arrived. So
I have included a quickly written function NonabelianTensorProduct(G,N) which
inputs a finite group G and normal subgroup N. It returns a record with the
homomorphism delta:G\otimes N --> G and the crossed pairing h:G\times N --> G .
I'll improve the efficiency of this function in the next release.

To calculate the order of the tensor product G\otimes N where G is the Sylow
2-subgroup of the Mathieu group M12, and N the derived subgroup of G, you need to
type the following:

gap> G:=SylowSubgroup(MathieuGroup(12),2);;
gap> N:=DerivedSubgroup(G);;
gap> T:=NonabelianTensorProduct(G,N);;
gap> TensProd:=Source(T.homomorphism);
gap> Order(TensProd);