[GAP Forum] decomposing regular representation + (AREP package)

Dmitrii Pasechnik dima at ntu.edu.sg
Sat Feb 24 15:19:32 GMT 2007

Dear R.N.Tsai, dear forum,

the main problem here is to obtain the complete list of irreducible complex
representations of G. IMHO computing the latter is a rather nontrivial
question for arbitrary finite groups.
Once you know such a list,
computing F is straightforward. See e.g. Sect. 2.7 of
J.-P. Serre, Linear representations of finite groups. Graduate
Texts in Mathematics, Vol. 42, Springer, New York, 1977

I have some GAP4 code (that I can make available upon request, although it's
not in any kind of polished form) that implements these formulae; we used it
in just completed preprint
http://www.ntu.edu.sg/home/dima/papers/truss6.pdf
where you can also find these formulae from Serre's book.
Actually, there it is used to compute a decomposition into irreducibles, and
then the centraliser ring, of a finite group representation, so it's a
slightly more general problem than yours.

Best,
Dmitrii
http://www.ntu.edu.sg/home/dima/