[GAP Forum] decomposing regular representation + (AREP package)

R.N. Tsai r_n_tsai at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 24 09:54:41 GMT 2007

Dear gap forum,

  I would like to decompose the regular (permutation) representation of
some small groups into irreducible representations (over the complexes).

  That is for finite group G of order |G|, I would like an explicit
|G|x|G| matrix F such that

    F^-1 R(g) F = B(g)

  R(g) is the regular representation, B(g) is block diagonal.
  R(g),B(g) and F are all |G|x|G| matrices over complexs.

  Is there anything in GAP that would facilitate getting such a matrix explicitly?

I ran accross a GAP3 package "AREP" but I'm not sure if that has what I
need (I didn't read through all its documentation yet); it also doesn't look
like it's supported by GAP4 anyway, so it may not be easily usable even if
it did.

  Thanks for your help.

  R.N.