[GAP Forum] Set stabilizer

Dmitrii Pasechnik dima at ntu.edu.sg
Fri Feb 23 16:27:07 GMT 2007

Alistair,
I don't think there  any are polynomial-time algorithms for this problem
known. Indeed, such an algorithm would allow one to compute the automorphism
group of a graph in polynomial time. (Consider G=S_k acting on the set of
n=(k choose 2) pairs. A graph is just a subset X of the set of pairs, so the
stabilizer of X in G is the automorphism group of the graph)
In turn, this would allow a polynomial-time algorithm for graph isomorphism.

On the other hand, going to the general case, it is polynomial-time for
fixed |X|.

Hope this helps.
Dima
http://www.ntu.edu.sg/home/dima/