[GAP Forum] Displaying the list of GAP available functions

Frank Lübeck Frank.Luebeck at math.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Jan 29 15:45:58 GMT 2007

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 03:14:19PM +0200, mfrincu at info.uvt.ro wrote:
> I've been trying to find an answer to a problem for some time now, but
> I can't seem to find the answer.
> The problem is  that I have to obtain the list of available functions
> in GAP, from within GAP.By available functions I mean all the
> functions loaded be default when GAP is started (default and defined
> in user packages with auto-load). Also a list with all the packages
> would be ok.
> Could anyone help me in this matter?

Dear Marc, dear Forum,

See the section

?More About Global Variables

in the GAP online help.

For example:

gap> NamesUserGVars();

gives you a list of names of global variables created after loading
the library. Or

gap> Filtered(NamesSystemGVars(),
>              str-> IsBoundGlobal(str) and IsFunction(ValueGlobal(str)));

gives you the names of global variables bound to functions during loading
of the library.

Currently, you can get the names of packages (normalized to lower case) found
in the package paths with:

gap> RecFields(GAPInfo.PackagesInfo);

But this is not (yet?) documented.

With best regards,

   Frank

--
///  Dr. Frank Lübeck, Lehrstuhl D für Mathematik, Templergraben 64,  ///
\\\                    52062 Aachen, Germany                          \\\