[GAP Forum] New update of GAP released

Dmitrii Pasechnik dima at ntu.edu.sg
Thu Nov 9 16:42:14 GMT 2006

Hi there,
may I ask why the file fix4r4p9 consists almost entirely of files that are
the same as in the release 4.4.8?
E.g. in bin/ there are just the same gap95.exe and cygwin1.dll files as in
4.4.8. Does this mean that the GAP executable doesn't have to be rebuilt?

IMHO this is entirely unnnecessary waste of bandwidth. (and for folks on a
slow connection to internet just plain painful)

Ideally, one would only distribute patches. At least for people who rebuild
GAP and thus have all the development tools there anyway, patching the
source is as easy as installing the update.

Thanks,
Dima

On 11/9/06 5:44 AM, "John McDermott" <jjm at mcs.st-and.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear GAP Forum,
>
> We are delighted to announce the release of GAP 4 release 4 update 9
> (GAP 4.4.9
> for short), which is available now from the GAP Web pages and FTP
> site. The
> priority of this upgrade is high, since it contains a fix for a bug
> which can
> return wrong results without warning. All users should update to this
> release
> as soon as possible.
>
> This update follows quickly on the heels of GAP 4.4.8 in order to fix
> a bug in
> the code for the function Orbits, introduced in the previous update,
> which had
> been reported by several users. The full details of the update can be
> found on
> the web pages at http://www.gap-system.org/Download/Updates/
> gap4r4p9.html.
>
> John McDermott,