[GAP Forum] openmath package on windows

Dmitrii Pasechnik dima at ntu.edu.sg
Mon Nov 6 16:48:58 GMT 2006

Proper porting GAP to native Win32 is a highly nontrivial and not really
rewarding tack (there is next to no reason for doing this, too). GAP
supports Windows via cygwin. Porting unix console code to cygwin is easy;
actually often no porting is required at all.

Not every package developer has access to a Windows machine, and people
doing serious computations won't normally do them under Windows anyway.

On 11/6/06 10:39 PM, "Nilo de Roock" <ndroock1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, I think that should do the trick. But cgywin is like getting a 2nd
> pc with Linux, or installing vmware with some linux. It's not what I was
> looking for. More sort of some tips on how to get the code compiled on
> windows and included in gap.
That's exactly the tip you asked for, you surely don't want to interface
cygwin processes (that is, gap) with native Win32, for this is pain in the
neck.
Getting/installing cygwin is trivial.

doe maar gewoon, dan doe je al gek genoeg! :)

> If GAP supports windows then why is not every package available on windows?
> Why are packages accepted with documentation saying "neither tried nor
> tested on windows"? I don't think there is a technical reason for why this
> package doesn't work on windows except that the developer didn't want to
> develop for Windows. These packages belong in an incubator and not in a
> final distribution imho.
>
> Just my 0,02.
> nilo de roock

Regards,