[GAP Forum] Running gap while offline on a Unix system?

Matthew Ragland mragland at mail.aum.edu
Mon Oct 30 22:15:14 GMT 2006

Scott,
	I ran across this same problem a few years ago.  Jack Schmidt gave
me a nice solution.  Check and see if you can run `screen' from the
command line.  If so, then ssh into your server as normal, then run
screen.  It will appear as if nothing has happened.  Then run GAP or
whatever.  Holding onto the control button, press `a' then `d'.  This will
detach your current session.  You can now logout and disconnect from the
internet while your GAP session is still running.  Later, when you want to
return to your session, you will need to ssh, login, etc. and then run
`screen -r' to get back to your GAP session.  You can run multiple screens
also.  To return to a particular session, you will need to specify a
screen id.  Check the man pages for more info.  If I understand
correctly what it is you want, I think this will help.

All the best,
Matt