[GAP Forum] changing right- to left multiplication

John McDermott jjm at dcs.st-and.ac.uk
Tue Aug 29 11:26:20 BST 2006

Forwarded message:

From: David Romano <romanod at math.grinnell.edu>
Date: 25 August 2006 22:40:36 BDT
To: forum at gap-system.org
Subject: changing right- to left multiplication

Hi,

I'm very new to GAP, and am for now primarily interested in using GAP
as a pedagogical tool for teaching group theory (and possibly  ring
theory).

At the moment, what I would like to be able to do is have students
use standard cycle notation for permutation groups, but have
multiplication reflect composition of transformations being read
right to left.  Is there any way to do this?

I searched through the GAP manual and did a few searches on the forum
archive, but have not been able to make any headway.

Thank you for any help you can provide,
David Romano

--
John McDermott