[GAP Forum] A5 acting on 52 points

Rudolf Zlabinger Rudolf.Zlabinger at chello.at
Thu Aug 10 05:12:04 BST 2006

I dealt with group A5 and the icosahedron. I was eager to know, how to let act A5 on the 62 endpoints of the 31 axes of the geometric model of the icosahedron group. As it was to expensive to simply use IsomorphicSubgroups to Symmetric Group 62 I developed a way using the action homomorphisms on the 2, 3 and 5 cycles cosets, as outlined in the attachment.

I would like to know, whether there is a simpler way to do it, as I did, shown by the attachment containing a GAP session, only using permutation groups. If there is an error in my procedure, please give also feedback.

Best regards, Rudolf Zlabinger