[GAP Forum] help needed with creating Z[t,t^-1]/(p(x))

Dima Pasechnik dima at ntu.edu.sg
Fri Aug 4 02:42:50 BST 2006

I suppose you cannot work with inverses of t directly, but you can introduce
one more variable, say s, and the relation st-1=0.
That's how one does this in most CA systems.
You create the quotient ring of Z[s,t,x,y] modulo the ideal
(st-1, xy-tx-(1-t)y).
That's assuming your rings are commutative.

On 8/4/06 7:13 AM, "Maciej Niebrzydowski" <mniebrz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I would really appreciate any info on how to create in GAP finite rings of
> the form
> Z[t,t^-1]/(p(x)), where p(x) is some polynomial (let's say with leading and
> last coeffs equal to 1). Such structures are known as Alexander quandles
> (with operation x*y=tx+(1-t)y) and are of importance in knot theory.
> Thank you
> Maciej Niebrzydowski

Dima Pasechnik
http://www.ntu.edu.sg/home/dima/