[GAP Forum] Simple Lie algebras of Cartan type

Jean-Marie Bois jm.bois at free.fr
Thu Jun 8 11:22:28 BST 2006

Hello,

I am currently experimenting with computations in simple modular Lie
algebras of Cartan type, but I am a bit confused with what basis GAP
considers. Let me explain more precisely.

Say I wish to consider the restricted Lie algebra W_2, whose elements I
view for instance as derivations of the truncated polynomial ring
F[x,y]/(x^p,y^p). Now if I give the following code to GAP:

F:=GF(5);
W:=SimpleLieAlgebra("W",[1,1],F);
b:=BasisVectors(Basis(L));

to what elements of W_2 do the vectors b[1],b[2],...,b[50] correspond?
And what about more general Cartan type Lie algebras?

Regards,

JM. Bois