[GAP Forum] Indexing of Ikosaedrons vertices

Rudolf Zlabinger Rudolf.Zlabinger at chello.at
Tue May 9 16:31:37 BST 2006

Dear MCKAY john,

Thank you for your hint to the finite rotation groups, you are right, the
icosahedron (dodecahedron) has 3 pole classes, with 2,3,5 cycle rotations,
resulting in 30,20,12 cosets.

My theoretical problem was, to translate this structure to mere permutation
representations. Distributing numbers 1 to 12 to the vertices has to some
degree influence to the selection of distinct permutation groups
representing the icosahedron indexed by these numbers.

As in our example indexing the icosahedrons vertices from top to down as 1,
(2,3,4,5,6),(7,8,9,10,11), 12 lead to the request, that a representing group
has to contain the permutation (2,3,4,5,6)(7,8,9,10,11) as the rotation
around the axis 1,12.

The problem is, that there is no formal way to describe a special indexing
of the vertices, as to do it intuitively as above. So i am looking for a
method to derive the indexing(s) from the selected permutation group(s) in
reverse order if this is possible.

One way to do it is to derive the vertex indices from one of the 5 cycles,
taking the 2 missing points (vertices) as axis. This results in 4 different
possible kinds of indexing the vertices, these are the 5 cycle permutation ^
1,2,3,4. In this way, the indexing is (partially) determined and described
by a selected special permutation group.

Thank you so far, best wishes, Rudolf Zlabinger