[GAP Forum] GAP feasibility study?

Ken W Smith ken.w.smith at cmich.edu
Tue May 2 12:35:27 BST 2006

Hi Craig,
	I would be concerned about two issues -- there is a "learning curve"
that has to be climbed in learning abstract algebra; in addition, if
one is not comfortable programming (say in C or C++), there can be also
be a learning curve associated with writing GAP programs....

	There is an introductory manual, "Abstract Algebra and GAP", by
Rainbolt and Gallian, see:
http://euler.slu.edu/Dept/Faculty/rainbolt/manual.html

	Also -- and this is of interest to other GAP users -- the MAA has a
short online class on "Incorporating the Software GAP into the Teaching
of  Abstract Algebra".  Check out:  http://www.maa.org/prep/2006/
(I'm grateful to a colleague for pointing out this short course.  It is
July 10-14, 2006.)

yours,
Ken