[GAP Forum] AppendTo problem with large strings

Petra Holmes holmespe at for.mat.bham.ac.uk
Mon Mar 27 15:09:08 BST 2006

Helge,

I'm not sure if there's a proper way of doing it, but this way works for
me.

If you print the string out one character at a time then it doesn't insert
newlines, like this:
for s in string do
    AppendTo(file,s);
od;
This gives an output file that is what you want except that it's full of
the character ' but you can get rid of those at the command line using
sed.  The command is
sed "s/'//g" file > newfile
using a bash shell, and I suppose it's almost the same in other shells.

Hope this helps,

Beth