[GAP Forum] Cohomolo

Steve Linton sal at dcs.st-and.ac.uk
Fri Mar 10 10:07:19 GMT 2006

"DN" wrote:
 I get the following message:

 gap> Read("cohomolo.tst");
 Function: number of arguments must be 2 (not 5) at
 Cohomology( chr, true, false, false, TmpName(  ) );
  called from
 <function>( <arguments> ) called from read-eval-loop
 Entering break read-eval-print loop ...
 you can 'quit;' to quit to outer loop, or
 you can replace the argument list <args> via 'return <args>;' to continue
 brk>

 What is going on here?

 DN

This problem is an incompatibility which we recently
discovered between the recently deposited Hap package and the
long-esablished cohomolo package, which define the global variable Cohomology
differently. Unfortunately, Hap version 1.1  was set to load automatically
when GAP starts, so anyone trying to use cohomolo would see this problem.
Version 1.2 released a few days ago fixes this problem, so that Hap is only
loaded if you load it explicitly. Thus, unless you need to use Hap and
cohomolo in the same session, you can avoid the problem by updating to this new
version.

For the moment it is not possible to use both of these packages in the same
GAP session. We will work with the authors to resolve this.

	Steve Linton

A couple of remarks: firstly, specific problems of this kind are probably best
sent to support at gap-system.org rather than to the forum. If we find issues of
general interest arising in response to pronblems, we will inform the forum;
secondly, although we don't insist,it would be nice to know the names of
people we are dealing with, rather than initials or nicknames.
--
Steve Linton	School of Computer Science  &
      Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Computational Algebra