[GAP Forum] "(C4 x C2) : C2"

Richard Barraclough R.W.Barraclough at qmul.ac.uk
Fri Feb 10 18:08:23 GMT 2006

Hi Nilo,

As you have noticed, the 'shape' of a group, i.e., what you get from
StructureDescription(), does not determine the isomorphism type of the
group.

There are two split extensions of (4 x 2) by 2, the action of the outer 2 on
the normal 4x2 is different.

Now, 4x2 has two cyclic subgroups of order 4, one generated by x that we can
see clearly, the other generated by xy. In case [16,3] z acts to swap these.

4x2 has three cyclic subgroups of order 2, generators are x^2, y and x^2y.
In case [16,3] z acts to swap <y> with <x^2 y>. Notice that this fixes the
two subgroups of order 4

You can't swap any other pair of order 2 subgroups. For example,
y -> x^2 -> xyxy = x^2 -> x^2 -> ...
which is nonsense.

It is also impossible to do both of these swaps at once: The first requires
you to swap x with xy, the second forces you to swap x with x^3y.

Therefore these are the only two groups of shape (4x2):2.

I seem to remember that "Groups for Undergraduates" by J. Moody determines
all of the groups of order up <something>. I expect there are many other