[GAP Forum] How to identify a group

Michael Schweitzer ms-swissoft at arcor.de
Thu Jan 26 16:22:33 GMT 2006

Dear forum members,

given a group G of order n (given by generators). Is GAP
able to identify the group by name or as the
group of symmetries of some geometric object?

For example: I define G such  that G is isomorphic to A5. Can I ask GAP:
which group is G? And GAP answers: A5- which is,  for example,
the symmetry group of the icosahedron.

That is, does GAP contain a database of finite groups of
small orders ( < several hundrets, say) which includes
information about the transformation group aspect: this
group, among other things, is the symmetry group of X or
operates in a natural manner on X (I know that GAP
does contain a database of small groups - but is this kind
of information stored there?).

The group in question is of order 432 with generators

g1 := (4,6,5)(7,8,9) and  g2 := (1,7,2,4,6,9,5,3)

Regards,
  Michael Schweitzer

Michael Schweitzer
Alt-Heiligensee 51 A